Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Week in Review Oct 27, 2014 - Nov 3, 2014

Mototaxi in Peru courtesy of
Google Images
Hello All!  As Promised, I would make a list of all the things I took for granted in the States, especially being here in Peru.

-Toilets that graciously accept toilet paper
-Laws Regarding Fires in the streets
-Paved Roads for when the rains come down, and the floods come up...
-Food that is the same texture that agrees with my stomach.
-Piano Players
-And For now.... Moto Taxis...that have 4 wheels:: All these that have 3 wheels kinda freak me out when we go over speed bumps or other obstacles....

Monday, October 27th, 2014
Elder Holmes with the monkeys

P-Day!  So it is obligatory.  Sorry! These slow computers copied with a bunch of missionaries makes it slow!  So, I will be uploading this last weeks ending on the 26th and for this week starting the 27th.  And, Monday was Multi-Zone conference which is why I am typing on Tuesday and not Monday:  This weeks photos are placed in the correct spot, but include 2 weeks.  So check the dates.  (If it works this week)  Went for some ice cream. Something which I always look forward to every week.  Shared a banana split with Elder Whitaker, which was to die for.
Later on in the day, Elder Whitaker, John, and Yhon, and I went on exchanges to a Zoo about 45 minutes away.  Fed a monkey and played a bit of tug of war with it and was able to enjoy just being in a different area with some others for a bit.  The city we traveled to was somewhat small, and for a bunch of them it was like his was the first time they have seen North Americans!  A bunch of flies, and my legs are destroyed by the carnage they ensued upon me.

All in all, it was a great day, I mean, we had ice cream twice, what is to complain about?

Tuesday, October 28th, 2014

Had our weekly district meeting, all is good.  As a side note, at the district meetings we also picked up our filtered water jugs and swap them out with our empty ones. Today was a jam packed day afterwards!  Starting today, I am part of a Trio as we have another Elder who joins our ranks (until Sunday, then he is off) so now we all do stuff together.  Yea, it is not as fun as it sounds.  Teaching with 2 is great because you can ping pong the lesson back and forth, but with 3 it becomes basically a free for all.  Also today, I taught an English Lesson for the Latins and requested an additional manual, the same manual by the way that the Locals use to prepare for the American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages Opic Test and Certification. So I can more adequately teach that as well.  All in all, I don't really have a whole lot of time to do other things, so in this instance I really will see how the next 22 months will fly!

Wednesday, October 29th, 2014

Forgot to mention we had the opportunity to do some exchanges this week and learn from each other... Oh yea, and I know a bit more Spanish than I thought I did... I don't know what it is, but when you exchange who you are with, even for a bit, you feel more free to talk in the other language.  So needless to say, exchanges went pretty well, and I know my large area of San Luis pretty well!

Thursday, October 30th, 2014

Not because of who, but being in a Trio, isn't very fun all the time.  One more person for everything... Showers... Eating... Walking... (If they are beyond slow) but yea... I am really learning patience here.  Our lessons with our investigators are progressing very well, and now we are teaching our investigators father, which suddenly became very interested!  Wo!  I love being able to talk and share a little bit more every day!  It is amazing.  Missionary work here is totally different focus also.  Obviously the goal is as missionaries to bring others to Christ, but down here we have a large duty to the less active members and to help and assist them in anyway possible.  Many of our appointments are these families and our goal is to strengthen their families and provide whatever assistance or support they might need.

Friday, October 31st, 2014

In case you are wondering we didn't do anything fun for Halloween.  I miss our community candy bowl [In our house, any candy we get from Trunk r Treating, all goes in a 'community bowl' in our home and we all eat from it.] and the Ward Trunk o Treat with our Cheesy Music! [Years ago I found this CD of Halloween music and weird sounds. Never replaced it, but funny, we couldn't find it this year.... maybe, just maybe Andrew took it with him. I guess we will never know. lol]  I think my body is finally as adjusted as it possibly can be to Peru.  I like the food, but some of the textures and repetition of items like rice, potatoes, bread, soup, begin to get to you. [In America we have those cookbooks, 101 ways to cook..... maybe they a series of books just like that. Andrew asked me to send him two pizza recipes because they just don't make them very good there. I sent him one with a yeast dough and one not. He is going to give them to his cook and see what they can come up with. I will let them convert the measurements.] Very Surprised, I think I have only had beans a few times here in Peru.  No Burritos or Tacos. Sad Face... I would love an Angie's California Burrito right about now... [Near our home, we have a Valero gas station. Inside that gas station is a fast food place called Angie's Mexican food. He is craving on of their burritos right now....]

Also worth of mention is our weekly planning session which I despise for one reason.  The names of everyone .  At least here in Peru, when everyone is married (if they are married) they keep their names. [Good genealogy training, don't you think?] So 2 family names for each family, to add to that it is have it down here to call the brother or sister, and then their 1st name, not their last name..: So come planning session, It looks like I do not know anybody!

Saturday, November 1st, 2014

Today I went contacting with another Elder because my companion was holding Baptism interview with another companionship.  So, off we went.  I have never seen someone teach the Entire Restoration in complete detail in the street on a first contact... Maybe a bit to much... But that is just my opinion for the future.

Sunday, November 2nd, 2014

Fast
Sunday!  Also, I was able to pay my fast offerings for the first time here in Peru.  The tithing forms are a bit different down here, but all the same.  Also, I believe that we will now be receiving digital receipts of our Tithing, as we received a notice about it down here...

Monday, November 3rd, 2014

Today was Missionary Training for the 5-ish Zones in the Area from Cerro De Pasco to A bit outside of Huanuco.... Had the opportunity to chat with Elder Bell, Elder Bush, and again Elder Whitaker (In my same district here) as we were all in the same district in the CCM.  It is nice to be able to speak English and relate some of the English-Spanish Difficulties and Getting used to so many of the things here in Peru.  Also very worthy of Mention is Hermana Henderson's (President Henderson's Wife) Brownies.  They are legendary.  Their legend spans the distance of the Peru, Huancayo Mission and we have no fear of asking for them when the time is appropriate, because not only are the heavenly, but they for a moment, remind us of what it is like to be home.... [I think Sis. Henderson needs to send the recipe with our missionary when they leave from their missions to have as a great keepsake. But I have a feeling her recipe has been altered to deal with the high altitude that none of us moms will ever need to deal with. So grateful that she makes those American treats for our missionaries.]

Photos to come on my blog... [But no pictures of those brownies....]
www.andrewintheandes.blogspot.com
Elder Holmes
Huanuco, Peru
San Luis

[Just adding a few extra photos that he sent in email that we wanted to share with you also. Enjoy!]


Elder Holmes sent his mom a picture from the window of his
apartment (this is NOT the picture he sent). It was embedded with GPS
and this is what she THOUGHT was his apartment (She used
Google Street View)......lol
And this what is Elder Holmes ACTUAL Apartment.
I think mom needs to work on the software
a bit more to get it right.... lol

'Lego Guy' looking over Huanuco, Peru - what a view!

Looks like Inca Cola

Multi-Zone Conference with President & Sis Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment