Monday, November 10, 2014

Week in Review Nov 4th, 2014 - Nov 9th, 2014

Oh the life of a missionary... Working, Studying, Service, and more... When will I ever get to sleep in?  Oh wait.... In 21-22 months....Ok... So here we go!

November 4th, 2014 


P-Day. We didn't do much today in regards to P-DAY... And No Ice Cream... More of just a quiet day....

November 5th, 2014

So one of our many roles as missionaries is being teachers.  Actually, a main role, but in this case we also teach seminary about 1 or 2 times per week. Since the school schedule is different then ours, we are currently in Ether and the Building of the barges for the travel.  Little by little I can express more of what I would like to, which is coming in handy for seminary. [Seminary is early morning church for the high school aged kids. Each year they learn a new book of study, from the New Testament, Old Testament, Book of Mormon or Church History. Elder Holmes attended and graduated from 4 years of early morning seminary while he attended high school.]

November 6th, 2014


District meeting today, which meant another English class from yours truly for the native Spanish speaking missionaries.  I taught the phonetics of how to say English letters and words, using the sample sentence ¨The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over the Wall¨Among others with Elder Whitaker.  Then it came, I put them all on the spot and began their English Tests.  Next week will be all of them, oh this will be fun.  After lunch, Elder Chapeton, Hermano Luis (Ward Mission Leader), and I Cleaned the building from Entrance to the baptismal room.  All tile.  All dirty.  I will just leave it at this.  Habits and techniques for cleaning are very different than ours.  And we also filled the font today just in case we don't have water tomorrow. [This was also the day he found out that none of our packages have arrived yet. We continue to pray. We sent his first package on September 29th. We hope that at least one of the several we have sent will arrive before Christmas.]

November 7th, 2014

Just a side note: Elder Holmes is only 5' 7" - unless he had a growth spurt, you can see how much taller he is among the Peruvian people, including his native companion.

Went on a contacting blitz today which basically meant huge Spanish practice-embarrassment for me FOR THE RECORD I actually have no fear of approaching and talking to the people, but I do have a fear of not understanding their answers to my questions.  Agh... But onto better news..: We had a baptism!  Hmas Samaritana!  I sent some photos to family for the blog, Yes this is my 1st official conversion baptism, and it was great!  Everyone felt the spirit, yup there were tears, and of course, we finished off with refreshments!  Typical Mormon Style anywhere in the world!

(Note for the photos, I will always smile despite the culture which I don't think they like to be very happy for group pictures because before and after they were totally good, laughing and having a good time.) 


November 8th, 2014

Well, we cleaned the building again today, but a different section, and it also took a while... But we had some help from the youth in the ward.  Then I bought some cookies and my companion bought soda for those who came and helped.  Inca Kola is way better here than in the states.  By Far.  I actually like it here. [Before Elder Holmes left for his mission, we both (his mom) went to a Peruvian restaurant and tried Inca Kola. It wasn't bad, tasted like Bubble Gum. The color yellow. It is their soda like we have Coke and it is safer to drink than water. Glad for his sake it tastes better in Peru than in the USA.] Also, we had the opportunity to speak with some of the local Jehovah's Witnesses, and the conversation (which was totally good and civil) got to the subject of kingdoms of glory and Celestial States.  Basically who will live with God (Cor. 15) and they believe that only 144,000 out of all the people in the worlds history will be able to live with God.. Well ok then, if that is what you think, how do I feel now?  Their lesson took a spin form them teaching us to us teaching them and one of them agreeing with us. Once that happened, the other companion decided to end the conversation and leave happily... Hmmm.... A future Contact?

November 9th, 2014


Today was Sunday, and started off with missing breakfast.  Woo hoo. But it was for a good cause, helping a family get to church.  Also worthy of mention, this is the first week I haven't been asked to pass the sacrament (Not a bunch of youth to help out)  

My most important note for today is from Matthew... Ask and ye shall receive...
Well.... I asked today who the Ward Temple Preparation Class Teacher Was... And I received... I am also the Ward Temple Class teacher for the next duration.  Woo hoo!  No I just have to translate what I don't have for materials...Ahh the life of a Gringo Missionary.  

Thank you for your continued emails and support, and as promised I will write as often as I have the chance!

Elder Holmes
Huanuco, Peru
San Luis






No comments:

Post a Comment